So many times people focus on the numbers; numbers on the scale to determine success. Instead of looking at the scale numbers (which sometimes are slow to move) we should look at non-scale victories other measures in our lives that determine success or achievement of our goals. Here are 15 Non Scale Victories – email me with others that you have found represent your health, wellness, fitness and weight loss success.
- Smaller Clothing Size /A once too small dress now fitting: Going through your wardrobe and finding clothes that have not fit you for 2-3 years or more. Losing weight and you have just provided yourself with a new wardrobe without spending a dollar.
- Ability to lift heavier & heavier. I love the achievement of knowing that I am lifting heavier than I did 6 months ago. I used to think wow I will never be able to lift or press that and now 6 months later I am loading more weight on to challenge myself and I also know that I can push beyond my perceived limits.
- Being able to run faster & farther. Running without pain, running faster and PR’ing a 5K, running further and for longer amounts of time.
- Lower Blood Pressure and Heart Rate. Going to the doctor and seeing improvements that are measureable and knowing that lower heart rate and pressure is putting less strain on vital organs and blood vessels.
- Improved Cholesterol, Liver Function. Kidney function, cholesterol levels, Liver function tests all improved
- Not being winded when you take the stairs or even viewing the stairs or the walk in the parking lot as a challenge and not an obstacle. Your mind set changes you see the stairs as exercise and calories burned not a punishment.
- New or renewed interest from the opposite sex. This one goes without saying renewed interest from your partner or significant other or even just a member of the opposite sex. When you once felt invisible and nondescript you are now aware of the glances from others.
- Rings fitting. There is nothing more uncomfortable than something feeling tight, especially rings but this NSV can be applied to a shirt or waistband of pants.
- Muscle Definition – When you recognize the definition in your biceps or seeing the delineation between hamstring and glute or quad area.
- Decrease in Body Fat Percentage – Every percentage inches you closer to your goal and every % towards your goal is an improvement in your health.
- Waist Circumference <35 or decreasing – Anything less than 35 Inches harkens to improvements in health outcomes.
- Keeping up with your kids – Lets go to the beach, the park, hiking or swings – why stop at keeping up with your kids – why not try to pass them !!!!! Especially when they are good athletes.
- Completing a New Class/ Trying something new such as a 5K or Obstacle Race. Knowing you can accomplish a goal often leads to you setting new goals and challenges. All of a sudden things that were previously out of reach become new goals – Paddle boarding, Mud Runs, Adventure Races all become achievable !!!!!!!!!!
- Making differences in your family’s life. Kids mimic what their parents do and even at an older age – Your family will be more inclined to follow your healthy lifestyle if they see you leading by example. Food choices will be shared by you family as will exercise and leisure choices. You never know who is watching you.
- You save money – by eating healthier you often eat out less preparing healthy and nutritious meals at home and when you do eat out your bill is often less due to the fact that you are foregoing alcohol which at restaurant prices is expensive.
So while people are often focused on the number on the scale dropping look around you and see all the small positive changes that are occurring in your life due to your positive and healthy diet, fitness and health lifestyle!
Dolores Van Bourgondien ARNP-BC email@example.com